Michael Clarke receives the Order of Australia honors

Michael Clarke, the World Cup-winning Australian captain was named an Officer (AO) in the Order of Australia honours list.

Clarke was recognised for "distinguished service to cricket as a player at the national and international level, through leadership roles, and to the community". 

He thanked in an Instagram post: I’m not sure how to express the gratitude and honour I have today, for receiving such a prestigious award. As surprised as I was to be seen in such light, and alongside some of my heroes, it makes me very proud to say that cricket has given me so much more than I could ever have imagined, and this is another example of why I owe the game so much. Without the support of my family, friends, fans and teammates, I wouldn’t be where I am today. This recognition and accolade is as much for you guys as it is for my contribution

He was the skipper when Australia won the 2015 ODI World Cup. With over 8600 Test runs and 7900 ODI runs, he retired in 2015 as the fourth-highest run-getter for his country in both Tests and ODIs. He had won the prestigious Allan Border medal four times (2005, 2009, 2012 &2013) in his career.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How much do cricketers get paid for a bat sponsorship?

The unknown record of Younis Khan as a substitute fielder

The only instance of 4 century-partnerships being born in an ODI match